Recreational Craft Insurance

If you are an owner of a motorboat, yacht, or any other recreational craft, and want to enjoy your free time without worrying about any possible unexpected expenses, which might arise as a result of the recreational craft being involved in an accident or creating any unexpected problems, insure it. We offer the widest range of recreational craft insurance services in the Baltics!

Apply for policy:

*Required fields

Authentication test:

What is recreational craft insurance?

Recreational craft insurance, similar to CASCO insurance of your vehicle, provides insurance protection and protects from considerable losses in different unexpected situations and events.

Insurance protection includes risks envisaging protection when using recreational craft in the water, launching it, taking it out of the water, transporting it on a trailer, as well as when it is moored to a berth.

Why to choose BTA recreational craft insurance?

Our advantages:

  • We ensure an individual approach to each customer and develop the most appropriate insurance offer in line with the customer’s needs and requirements;
  • We have more than 20 years of experience in vessel insurance;
  • We offer the widest range of insurance protection services in coverage of basic risks in the entire Baltics;
  • We offer both insurance coverage, which complies with bank requirements, and very wide additional coverage.

What kind of recreational craft can be insured?

Any recreational craft registered with the relevant register in compliance with laws and regulations of the relevant country may be insured. Recreational craft in Latvia must be registered with the registers maintained by the Road Safety Traffic Directorate or the Maritime Administration of Latvia.

We offer to insure all types of registered recreational craft:

  • Motor boats;
  • Cutters;
  • Sailing yachts and motor yachts;
  • Sailing catamarans;
  • Rowing boats and canoes;
  • Kayaks;
  • Other recreational craft.

What are the risks recreational craft may be insured against?

Basic risks:

  • Water traffic accident
  • Fire, explosion
  • Natural disasters
  • Accident danger
  • Latent manufacture defect
  • Breakage of shafts, bursting of boilers
  • Taking out of the water to place on the slip, keeping on the slip, letting down from the slip into the water
  • Damage when recreational craft is moored to a berth
  • Theft, robbery, unlawful activities by third parties

In addition, we also offer insurance protection coverage for the following situation and events:

  • Transporting recreational craft on a trailer,  lifting it on or off the trailer
  • Driving recreational craft at a speed exceeding 17 knots (31.484 km/h)
  • Participating with recreational craft in races, regattas, training voyages and other rides associated with sports
  • Using recreational craft for conducting training
  • Making recreational craft available to third parties for use for consideration (on lease) for non-commercial purposes
  • Using recreational craft for towing additional equipment, such as water skis, inflatable equipment
  • Using recreational craft for conducting operational activities
  • Using recreational craft for commercial activities
  • Damages, loss, or ruin of recreational craft as a result of piracy or armed robbery at sea

What are the validity territory and period of the policy?

The validity territory of the recreational craft insurance policy is the territory of the Republic of Latvia, inland waters of the Republic of Latvia, and territorial sea of the Republic of Latvia. We also offer wider validity territory of insurance protection, if necessary.

A recreational craft insurance policy may be purchased for the insurance period starting from three months to one year. 

Purchase of policy

A recreational craft insurance policy may be purchased in one of the following manners:

  • By completing the application form on the BTA home page, then a BTA specialist will contact you, prepare an insurance offer on the basis of your detailed information, and send it to the e-mail address you have indicated;
  • By calling BTA Customer Support Service at (+371) 26 12 12 12. It is also possible to pay for the insurance policy during the call;
  • By visiting any BTA Customer service centre in person;
  • By contacting BTA agents, insurance brokers.

What to do in case of an accident?

In case of an accident act as follows:

1. To conduct rescue operations, as well as to record circumstances and cause of the accident, immediately contact the appropriate emergency service or institution:  

  • In case of an injured person, contact the State Emergency Medical Service by calling 113 or 03;
  • In case of a fire, contact the State Fire and Rescue Service by calling 112 or 01;
  • In case of gas leakage, contact the Gas Emergency Service by calling 114 or 04;
  • In case of a possibility that the accident might be caused by the act of another person, immediately contact the police by calling 110 or 02.

2. Try to do anything possible to save the insurance objects and prevent further damages to the extent possible without endangering yourself.

3. Try to preserve the site untouched to the extent possible preserving remains of the damaged insurance object.

4. Contact BTA Customer Support Service at (+371) 26 12 12 12 as soon as possible in order to receive instructions for further actions, as well as to claim the insured event. 

Insurance Terms and Conditions

  PDF E-doc*
General insurance terms and conditions    
Terms and Conditions No 3
(the wording applies to policies issued starting from 13.12.2011)
Terms and Conditions No 2
(the wording applies to policies issued starting from 07.06.2011)


* You can open digitally signed documents *.edoc, using the template on website Before checking the necessary document, save it on your computer (we recommend using Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Opera browsers).