Travel Insurance for Truckers

If your company's activities concern logistics services or your company's drivers regularly go on trips outside Latvia to deliver or receive goods, the Travel Insurance for Truckers will be the most suitable option for the safety of the drivers. It offers insurance protection throughout the year.

Apply for policy:

*Required fields

Authentication test:

Why to choose BTA Travel Insurance for Truckers?

Our advantages:

  • We offer individual approach to each client by assessing the needs of the relevant enterprise, by developing appropriate offer, beneficial conditions and discounts;
  • We offer a special Travel Insurance program for truckers by providing them with insurance protection against possible accidents abroad;
  • Travel Insurance for Truckers offers insurance protection against the main risks at a particularly good price throughout the year;
  • BTA is the only insurance company in Latvia, which has its own travel assistance service. By calling the BTA assistance service, the client can receive the most competent and detailed advice related to the travel insurance in his or her native language at any time of the day.

Who is the Travel Insurance for Truckers suitable for?

The Travel Insurance for Truckers is suitable for individuals - drivers under 64 who regularly take trips outside the country, provided that the duration of each trip does not exceed 45 days.

To validate the Travel Insurance System for Truckers, before going abroad you have to obtain an EHIC, i.e.  European Health Insurance Card, because the Travel Insurance policy for Truckers does not cover the expenses that are reimbursed in accordance with the terms and conditions of the EHIC.

What are the risks covered by the insurance?

Attention. Many insurance risks will be valid only if you have an EHIC!  
Medical expenses
Insurance covers the expenses associated with the provision of emergency medical assistance abroad, in case an accident or a sudden illness has occurred during the trip, including emergency medical aid, costs of purchasing drugs prescribed by the doctor, emergency surgery and medical procedures, as well as expenses transportation to the hospital (in emergency cases also including the use of medical helicopter services). If the client is hospitalized due to a sudden illness or a personal accident, and cannot return to the domicile country in the scheduled time, the cost of purchasing new tickets or changing tickets will be reimbursed. Insurance also covers the costs of phone calls, made to contact BTA or BTA cooperation partners regarding purchasing or lease of the temporarily necessary medical aids, transportation costs for taking a minor child to the domicile country, when the client is hospitalized.
Urgent dentistry
According to the sum indicated in the Insurance Agreement, covers expenses for the purchase of painkillers, temporary measures of dental treatment (x-ray, medications, temporary tooth fillings or tooth extraction). 
Transportation of the mortal remains to the domicile country. Coordinating in writing, the repatriation expenses can be replaced by burial expenses abroad, including coffin costs.
Medical evacuation
Covers expenses for transportation prescribed by a doctor from the hospital abroad to a hospital in the country of domicile.
Expenses of a person accompanying the injured person
In case of necessity, insurance also covers the expenses of medical staff, when returning to the domicile – medical evacuation – cannot be accomplished without attendance of a doctor or a nurse. With doctor’s permission, the health care worker may be replaced by a family member, traveling with the client.
Loss or theft of passport or ID-card
According to the sum indicated in the Insurance Agreement,  covers transportation, accommodation costs (hotel, food) incurred due to renewal of passport or ID-card abroad, as well as telephone conversations related to the renewal of the passport or ID-card. 
Replacement of the Customer
In case the customer get into hospital during travel, is evacuated or repatriated, and the employer, in order to have the customer’s professional duties abroad continued, faces a necessity to replace the customer by another person, the travel expenses of that replacing person will be refunded.

What is the scope and duration of the policy?

Travel Insurance policy for truckers is valid in Europe, as well as in the territorial European part of the Russian Federation (until the Ural Mountains).

What is the duration of the policy?

Duration of the Travel Insurance policy for truckers is one year. Insurance coverage is valid for an unlimited number of trips during the year, provided that the duration of each trip does not exceed 45 calendar days.

Ways to Purchase the Policy

You can purchase the travel insurance policy in the following ways:

  • The most comfortable and easiest way is to buy it online. Filling the electronic form within a few minutes, you can choose the risks that you want to include in the Travel Insurance cover; besides you can easily pay with a credit or debit card;
  • If you fill the application form on the website of BTA, a representative of BTA will contact you finding out detailed information, prepare the insurance proposal and send it to your e-mail address;
  • You can call the BTA Customer Support Service at 26 12 12 12. During the call, it is also possible to pay for the insurance policy;
  • You can visit the BTA Customer Support Service;
  • You can contact BTA agents, insurance brokers;
  • You can turn to our partners in travel agencies. 

EHIC for additional security during the travel

EHIC, i.e. European Health Insurance Card, is a document common for all European Union and European Economic Area countries (Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein) and the Swiss Confederation, which entitles citizens of these countries to receive state-funded emergency and necessary health care to the extent ensured for inhabitants of each relevant country. The EHIC can be used in foreign clinics that are members of the National Sickness Fund and that have accepted the usage of the EHIC. Therefore, before seeking medical care abroad, we recommend you to inquire in advance whether the relevant clinic accepts the EHIC.

All residents of the Republic of Latvia may receive the EHIC card for free, therefore, when traveling abroad, be sure to obtain the EHIC card. For more information about the possibilities of receiving the EHIC card, visit the website of the National Health Service.

Why do you need BTA Travel insurance if you have the EHIC card?

  • The EHIC card does not cover the costs and fees for client’s transportation, repatriation, emergency/ rescue services, which can amount to very significant expenses.
  • Even in the case when the client enters a foreign clinic that accepts the EHIC, the customer will be charged to pay the fees mandatory in the relevant country. Although in Latvia patient fees are relatively low, in Europe they can be even more than 10 times higher.
  • When using the EHIC, the foreign clinic receives the payment from the Latvian State budget within two years, therefore in most cases private clinics, including dentists and ski resort clinics, refuse to accept the EHIC.
  • The EHIC card does not provide protection against other risks which may occur during traveling or foreign trips.

An example showing the necessity for the EHIC and Travel Insurance: 

State of health of a resident of Latvia suddenly deteriorated while visiting a country in the European Union. As a result, the woman was placed in a clinic. When her health condition slightly improved and it was possible to evacuate her to her country of origin, the bill for medical services amounted to EUR 24 000.

Given that the Latvian resident had the EHIC, she did not have to pay the entire amount from her own personal funds. The EHIC covered 75% (EUR 18 000) of the medical expenses, the remaining 25% (6 000 EUR) would have to be covered by the woman herself, if she had not had the BTA travel insurance policy. Medical evacuation costs that were not covered by the EHIC amounted to EUR 4 300.

If the woman, additionally to the security provided by the EHIC, had not purchased the BTA Travel insurance, she would have to pay EUR 10 300 for the medical services received in the foreign clinic and medical evacuation to Latvia from her own personal funds. In this case, this amount was covered by BTA.

What should you know when going abroad?

Before going abroad, we suggest you to:

  1. Get to know if the particular country does not require an entry visa;
  2. Make sure that your passport is valid for the entire journey. Some countries have established that the passport must be valid for at least another three or even six months after the closing date of the planned trip, so we suggest you to contact with the embassy of the relevant country in order to clarify the requirements relating to the travel documents;
  3. Get acquainted with the information available on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Latvia, including alerts on countries facing risks of war or other types of hazards;
  4. Register in the Consular Register before going abroad, so that, in case of crises such as natural disasters, political unrest, war, representatives of the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Latvia could contact you and, if necessary, provide possible assistance;
  5. When planning a trip to exotic countries or countries where there is a risk of infection with yellow fever, cholera, hepatitis A and B or other dangerous diseases, be sure to consult with physicians in a timely manner to know if it is not necessary to be vaccinated. Information on vaccination is available on the website of the Infectology Centre of Latvia;
  6. Find out what can and cannot be carried in your luggage when traveling within the European Union and outside the European Union. Information can be found on the website of the State Revenue Service;
  7. If you plan to travel by plane, find out in advance what are your rights to request indemnity and assistance from the airline if the flight is cancelled or delayed, if the boarding it is denied or if the luggage is damaged or lost. You will find information on the website of the Service for the Protection of Consumer Rights.

Things you should do in case of an accident

In case of an accident abroad, take the following measures.

Call the BTA’s 24/7 Travel Support Service:

  • (+371) 26 12 12 12

We will provide operative assistance and consultation on what to do in the specific situation.

In case of a sudden disease or accident in one of the following countries, you can call our partners in the specific country:

  • Turkey*: (+90 242) 310 44 44
  • Egypt*: (+20 122) 104 27 43
  • Greece: (+30) 28970 41 777
  • Bulgaria: (+359) 56918004
  • Thailand: (+66) 600035168
  • Bali and other Asian countries: (+7) 495 989 11 20
  • Ukraine, Moldova: (+380) 443745026
  • Belarus: (+375) 29 103 64 24
  • Russian Federation: (+7) 495 989 11 20
  • Spain: (+34) 931731427

* If you are in Turkey or Egypt, in order to avoid possible problems, ask for medical assistance only in our contractual organisations.

  • By calling the indicated telephone numbers, our employees or partners will help to arrange the formalities associated with medical institutions, will provide a written guarantee of payment of medical services, so you do not have to spend your own personal financial resources; they will also help to solve a variety of other issues.
  • If you have had to pay for medical services or any other case of insurance included in the Travel Insurance Policy from your own personal funds, be sure to keep documents certifying such payments (checks, registered receipts). Besides, be sure to keeps other documents justifying the indemnity claim: medical statements, certificate issued by airline about luggage delay, damage or loss, documents issued by law enforcement bodies, etc. A detailed list of documents to be submitted can be found in the Travel Insurance Terms and Conditions or your policy.
  • Upon your return to Latvia, please contact the BTA’s Customer Support Service as soon as possible by calling 26 12 12 12, in order to register the case of insurance.

How do I get more information?

If you wish to obtain additional information on the Business Trip and Travel Insurance or its purchase, contact the BTA Customer Support Service at 26 12 12 12 or in any other of the most convenient forms of communication. Other possible means of communication can be found in the “Contacts” section. 

Insurance Terms and Conditions

  PDF E-doc*
Travel insurance terms and conditions    
Terms and Conditions No 15-1
(the wording applies to policies issued starting from 09.05.2016)
Terms and Conditions No 15
(the wording applies to policies issued starting from 20.12.2011)
General insurance terms and conditions    
Terms and Conditions No 3
(the wording applies to policies issued starting from 13.12.2011)
Terms and Conditions No 2
(the wording applies to policies issued starting from 07.06.2011)


* You can open digitally signed documents *.edoc, using the template on website Before checking the necessary document, save it on your computer (we recommend using Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Opera browsers).