Travel Insurance for Manual Workers

If employees of your enterprise go abroad to work a physical work, it is definitely worth to think of possibilities to prevent significant additional costs that you and your employees would have to cover in case of unforeseen situations – illness or injury. In such situations Travel Insurance for Manual Workers would be the most appropriate option. Take care of your and your employees’ financial security.

Apply for policy:

*Required fields

Authentication test:

Why should you choose BTA Travel Insurance for Manual Workers?

Our advantages:

  • We offer individual approach to each client by assessing the needs of the relevant enterprise, by developing appropriate offer, conditions and discounts;
  • We offer two specially designed Travel Insurance programs for manual workers, by providing insurance protection against possible accidents abroad;
  • If you have an EHIC card when purchasing Travel Insurance for manual workers,  you will have a 40% discount;
  • BTA is the only insurance company in Latvia, which has its own travel assistance service. By calling the BTA assistance service, the client can receive the most competent and detailed advice related to the travel insurance in his or her native language at any time of the day.

Who is the Travel Insurance for Manual Workers suitable for?

Travel Insurance for Manual Workers applies to individuals who go to work abroad.

Price of the Travel Insurance policy for manual workers depends on the type of the work planned to be done abroad.

Depending on the injury risk, the professions and works in the following areas are considered to be easy manual works:

  • Seller,
  • Hairdressers
  • Tailors,
  • Work in the field of agriculture,
  • Work in restaurants, including cooks, ,
  • Maintenance works,
  • Taxi driving,
  • Painting, carpentry works,
  • Fishing,
  • Work in medicine, including emergency medical brigades,
  • Others.

The professions and works in the following areas are considered to be hard manual works :

  • Forestry, woodworking
  • Construction work (working at height, working in gas storage facilities, roofers, building managers, drillers, auxiliary workers, etc.)
  • Construction and repair of tunnels, bridges,
  • Road construction and repair,
  • Chimney sweeps,
  • Work in metallurgy,
  • Shipbuilding and repair,
  • Work in a chemical plant,
  • Work related to handling or lifting of heavy objects,
  • Truckers,
  • Others.

What are the risks covered by the insurance?

Attention. If you have an EHIC, you will receive a 40% discount!  
Medical expenses
Insurance covers the expenses associated with the provision of emergency medical assistance abroad, in case an accident or a sudden illness has occurred during the trip, including emergency medical aid, costs of purchasing drugs prescribed by the doctor, emergency surgery and medical procedures, as well as expenses transportation to the hospital (in emergency cases also including the use of medical helicopter services). If the client is hospitalized due to a sudden illness or a personal accident, and cannot return to the domicile country in the scheduled time, the cost of purchasing new tickets or changing tickets will be reimbursed. Insurance also covers the costs of phone calls, made to contact BTA or BTA cooperation partners regarding purchasing or lease of the temporarily necessary medical aids, transportation costs for taking a minor child to the domicile country, when the client is hospitalized.
Urgent dentistry
According to the sum indicated in the Insurance Agreement, covers expenses for the purchase of painkillers, temporary measures of dental treatment (x-ray, medications, temporary tooth fillings or tooth extraction). 
transportation of the mortal remains to the domicile country. Coordinating in writing, the repatriation expenses can be replaced by burial expenses abroad, including coffin costs.
Medical evacuation
Covers expenses for transportation prescribed by a doctor from the hospital abroad to a hospital in the country of domicile.
Expenses of a person accompanying the injured person
In case of necessity, covers also expenses for medical personnel expenses if returning to the country of domicile, i.e. medical evacuation, cannot take place without a doctor or nurse escort. 
Accident resulting in mutilation 
If the accident results in death or mutilations, indemnity  will be paid according to the sum indicated in the Insurance Agreement. 

What is the scope and duration of the policy?

Travel Insurance policy is valid in the specified territory outside the Republic of Latvia. You can obtain the Travel Insurance policy indicating the following operating areas:

  • Russian Federation or Belarus,
  • Europe (all European countries, including Turkey, Tunisia, Egypt, Israel, Crete, Cyprus, Canary Islands, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan),
  • The whole world. 

What is duration of the policy?

You can purchase a Travel Insurance policy for Manual Workers for a definite period of time, starting from one day.

Ways to Purchase the Policy

You can purchase the travel insurance policy in the following ways:

  • The most comfortable and easiest way is to buy it online. Filling the electronic form within a few minutes, you can choose the risks that you want to include in the Travel Insurance cover; besides you can easily pay with a credit or debit card;
  • If you fill the application form on the website of BTA, a representative of BTA will contact you finding out detailed information, prepare the insurance proposal and send it to your e-mail address;
  • You can call the BTA Customer Support Service at 26 12 12 12. During the call, it is also possible to pay for the insurance policy;
  • You can visit the BTA Customer Support Service;
  • You can contact BTA agents, insurance brokers;
  • You can turn to our partners in travel agencies. 

EHIC for additional security during the travel

EHIC, i.e. European Health Insurance Card, is a document common for all European Union and European Economic Area countries (Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein) and the Swiss Confederation, which entitles citizens of these countries to receive state-funded emergency and necessary health care to the extent ensured for inhabitants of each relevant country. The EHIC can be used in foreign clinics that are members of the National Sickness Fund and that have accepted the usage of the EHIC. Therefore, before seeking medical care abroad, we recommend you to inquire in advance whether the relevant clinic accepts the EHIC.

All residents of the Republic of Latvia may receive the EHIC card for free, therefore, when traveling abroad, be sure to obtain the EHIC card. For more information about the possibilities of receiving the EHIC card, visit the website of the National Health Service.

Why do you need BTA Travel insurance if you have the EHIC card?

  • The EHIC card does not cover the costs and fees for client’s transportation, repatriation, emergency/ rescue services, which can amount to very significant expenses.
  • Even in the case when the client enters a foreign clinic that accepts the EHIC, the customer will be charged to pay the fees mandatory in the relevant country. Although in Latvia patient fees are relatively low, in Europe they can be even more than 10 times higher.
  • When using the EHIC, the foreign clinic receives the payment from the Latvian State budget within two years, therefore in most cases private clinics, including dentists and ski resort clinics, refuse to accept the EHIC.
  • The EHIC card does not provide protection against other risks which may occur during traveling or foreign trips.

An example showing the necessity for the EHIC and Travel Insurance: 

State of health of a resident of Latvia suddenly deteriorated while visiting a country in the European Union. As a result, the woman was placed in a clinic. When her health condition slightly improved and it was possible to evacuate her to her country of origin, the bill for medical services amounted to EUR 24 000.

Given that the Latvian resident had the EHIC, she did not have to pay the entire amount from her own personal funds. The EHIC covered 75% (EUR 18 000) of the medical expenses, the remaining 25% (6 000 EUR) would have to be covered by the woman herself, if she had not had the BTA travel insurance policy. Medical evacuation costs that were not covered by the EHIC amounted to EUR 4 300.

If the woman, additionally to the security provided by the EHIC, had not purchased the BTA Travel insurance, she would have to pay EUR 10 300 for the medical services received in the foreign clinic and medical evacuation to Latvia from her own personal funds. In this case, this amount was covered by BTA.

What should you know when going abroad?

Before going abroad, we suggest you to:

  1. Get to know if the particular country does not require an entry visa;
  2. Make sure that your passport is valid for the entire journey. Some countries have established that the passport must be valid for at least another three or even six months after the closing date of the planned trip, so we suggest you to contact with the embassy of the relevant country in order to clarify the requirements relating to the travel documents;
  3. Get acquainted with the information available on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Latvia, including alerts on countries facing risks of war or other types of hazards;
  4. Register in the Consular Register before going abroad, so that, in case of crises such as natural disasters, political unrest, war, representatives of the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Latvia could contact you and, if necessary, provide possible assistance;
  5. When planning a trip to exotic countries or countries where there is a risk of infection with yellow fever, cholera, hepatitis A and B or other dangerous diseases, be sure to consult with physicians in a timely manner to know if it is not necessary to be vaccinated. Information on vaccination is available on the website of the Infectology Centre of Latvia;
  6. Find out what can and cannot be carried in your luggage when traveling within the European Union and outside the European Union. Information can be found on the website of the State Revenue Service;
  7. If you plan to travel by plane, find out in advance what are your rights to request indemnity and assistance from the airline if the flight is cancelled or delayed, if the boarding it is denied or if the luggage is damaged or lost. You will find information on the website of the Service for the Protection of Consumer Rights.

Things you should do in case of an accident

In case of an accident abroad, take the following measures.

Call the BTA’s 24/7 Travel Support Service:

  • (+371) 26 12 12 12

We will provide operative assistance and consultation on what to do in the specific situation.

In case of a sudden disease or accident in one of the following countries, you can call our partners in the specific country:

  • Turkey*: (+90 242) 310 44 44
  • Egypt*: (+20 122) 104 27 43
  • Greece: (+30) 28970 41 777
  • Bulgaria: (+359) 56918004
  • Thailand: (+66) 600035168
  • Bali and other Asian countries: (+7) 495 989 11 20
  • Ukraine, Moldova: (+380) 443745026
  • Belarus: (+375) 29 103 64 24
  • Russian Federation: (+7) 495 989 11 20
  • Spain: (+34) 931731427

* If you are in Turkey or Egypt, in order to avoid possible problems, ask for medical assistance only in our contractual organisations.

  • By calling the indicated telephone numbers, our employees or partners will help to arrange the formalities associated with medical institutions, will provide a written guarantee of payment of medical services, so you do not have to spend your own personal financial resources; they will also help to solve a variety of other issues.
  • If you have had to pay for medical services or any other case of insurance included in the Travel Insurance Policy from your own personal funds, be sure to keep documents certifying such payments (checks, registered receipts). Besides, be sure to keeps other documents justifying the indemnity claim: medical statements, certificate issued by airline about luggage delay, damage or loss, documents issued by law enforcement bodies, etc. A detailed list of documents to be submitted can be found in the Travel Insurance Terms and Conditions or your policy.
  • Upon your return to Latvia, please contact the BTA’s Customer Support Service as soon as possible by calling 26 12 12 12, in order to register the case of insurance.

How do I get more information?

If you wish to obtain additional information on the Travel Insurance for Manual Workers or its purchase, contact the BTA Customer Support Service by phone 26 12 12 12 or in any other of the most convenient forms of communication. Other possible means of communication can be found in the “Contacts” section.

Insurance Terms and Conditions

  PDF E-doc*
Travel insurance terms and conditions    
Terms and Conditions No 15-1
(the wording applies to policies issued starting from 09.05.2016)
Terms and Conditions No 15
(the wording applies to policies issued starting from 20.12.2011)
General insurance terms and conditions    
Terms and Conditions No 3
(the wording applies to policies issued starting from 13.12.2011)
Terms and Conditions No 2
(the wording applies to policies issued starting from 07.06.2011)


* You can open digitally signed documents *.edoc, using the template on website Before checking the necessary document, save it on your computer (we recommend using Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Opera browsers).