Civil Liability Insurance of Recreational Craft Owners

No matter how careful we are when using recreational craft, it may happen that we accidently damage property, which belongs to another person, or cause damage to the health or life of another person. It is the obligation of each person to indemnify such losses; you, however, may trust us with covering such losses, provided you have insured your civil liability.

Apply for policy:

*Required fields

Authentication test:

What is civil liability insurance of recreational craft owners?

Civil liability insurance of recreational craft owners, similar to MTPL insurance of your motor vehicle, will protect you from unexpected expenses in the event of causing damage to other person as a result of a water traffic accident.

Civil liability of recreational craft owners may only be insured, provided the recreational craft is registered with the relevant register in compliance with laws and regulations of the relevant country. Recreational craft in Latvia must be registered with the registers maintained by the Road Safety Traffic Directorate or the Maritime Administration of Latvia.

Why choose BTA civil liability insurance of recreational craft owners?

Our advantages:

  • We ensure an individual approach to each customer and develop the most appropriate insurance offer in line with the customer’s needs and requirements;
  • We have more than 20 years of experience in vessel risk insurance;
  • We offer the widest range of insurance protection services in coverage of basic risks in the entire Baltics;
  • We offer the widest coverage of additional risks. 

What are the risks to be insured against?

Basic insurance coverage:

  • Damage caused to life or health of another person
  • Damage caused to or loss of property of another person
  • Rescue expenses
  • Litigation expenses

In addition, we also offer insurance protection coverage for the following situations and events:

  • Participating with recreational craft in races, regattas, training voyages and other rides associated with sports
  • Using recreational craft for conducting training
  • Using recreational craft for conducting operational activities
  • Driving recreational craft at a speed exceeding 17 knots (31.484 km/h)
  • Causing damage to the environment due to sudden pollution
  • Indemnification of expenses for removal of wreck, determination of the amount of losses for indemnification of expenses

What are the validity territory and period of the policy?

The validity territory of the civil liability insurance policy of recreational craft owners is the territory of the Republic of Latvia, inland waters of the Republic of Latvia, and territorial sea of the Republic of Latvia. We also offer wider validity territory of insurance protection, if necessary.

A civil liability insurance policy of recreational craft owners may be purchased for the insurance period starting from three months to one year. 

Purchase of policy

A civil liability insurance policy of recreational craft owners may be purchased in one of the following manners:

  • By completing the application form on the BTA home page, then a BTA specialist will contact you, prepare an insurance offer on the basis of your detailed information, and send it to the e-mail address you have indicated;
  • By calling BTA Customer Support Service at (+371) 26 12 12 12. It is also possible to pay for the insurance policy during the call;
  • By visiting any BTA Customer service centre in person;
  • By contacting BTA agents, insurance brokers.

What to do in case of an accident?

In case of an accident, act as follows:

1. To conduct rescue operations, as well as to record circumstances and cause of the accident, immediately contact the appropriate emergency service or institution:  

  • In case of an injured person, contact the State Emergency Medical Service by calling 113 or 03;
  • In case of a fire, contact the State Fire and Rescue Service by calling 112 or 01;
  • In case of gas leakage, contact the Gas Emergency Service by calling 114 or 04;
  • In case of a possibility that the accident might be caused by the act of another person, immediately contact the police by calling 110 or 02.

2. Contact BTA Customer Support Service at (+371) 26 12 12 12 as soon as possible in order to receive instructions for further actions, as well as to claim the insured event. 

Insurance Terms and Conditions

  PDF E-doc*
General terms and conditions of civil liability insurance    
Terms and conditions No 21.01.
(version valid for policies issued from 31.01.2012)

* You can open digitally signed documents *.edoc, using the template on website Before checking the necessary document, save it on your computer (we recommend using Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Opera browsers).